Arthritis is a real problem in the US and this problem is only getting worse. Despite this crisis affecting millions of people, WordPress.com failed to acknowledge “rheumatology” and “rheumatologist” as real words. Here are just a few of the facts about Arthritis.
- Arthritis is the leading cause of disability in the United States.
- Nearly one in five adult Americans suffer from arthritis. This equates to 46 million American adults.
- Over 300,000 children also live with the pain, disability and emotional trauma caused by juvenile arthritis.
- The burden of arthritis will continue to rise. By the year 2030, an estimated 67 million Americans will suffer from debilitating pain and limited mobility caused by arthritis.
- 2/3 of Americans diagnosed with arthritis are under the age of 65.
- Nine states do not have a single pediatric rheumatologist.
- According to the CDC, the total costs attributable to arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the US in 2003 was approximately $128 billion.
- 9,500 people in the US died from arthritis in 2003.
You can help! Write your members of Congress and request that they pass the Arthritis Prevention, Control and Cure Act of 2009. This act is detrimental to the arthritis community. When passed, it will help address the following.
- Strengthen arthritis public health initiatives, allowing more people to be diagnosed early in order to avoid pain and permanent disability.
- Expand the reach of evidence based self-management activities such as weight control and physical activity, which have been proven to reduce pain and reduce health care expenditures.
- Establish a juvenile arthritis population database to better understand the disease in children and their treatment.
- Enhance support for pediatric rheumatology training programs.
- Establish a loan repayment program for pediatric rheumatologists to address the country’s severe shortage of these critical health professionals.
3 thoughts on “Arthritis – The Facts”
One of the long used herbal treatments for Osteo-arthritis is Boswellia. There is a lot of research out there on this herb. check out the National Library of Medicine. Here is a link to a company that offers 100% natural Boswellia supplements, made in the USA~!
very interesting I am going to copy it
There is obviously a bunch to know about this. I believe you made various nice points in features also.